The Audi A6 Hybrid Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

tyre pressure monitoring system

5 posters

Go down

tyre pressure monitoring system Empty Re: tyre pressure monitoring system

Post by mamadA6H Wed Jun 25, 2014 5:38 am

After reading some facts from Conti site and forums, realised Contiseal is not enough to help with sidewall puncture and it has some weakness. Conti has SSR (SelfSupportingRunflat) but I don't think they brought it into Malaysia.

Well - not often we get this kind of mishap; but if there is something we could rely on like RFT, it'd be good to have (minus the inconveniences). I travel a lot outside KL, hence the need to seriously consider options.
Peace!

mamadA6H

Back to top Go down

Post by Screwu Tue Jun 24, 2014 6:12 pm

I had a bad experience with contiseal tires on my cc

Screwu

Back to top Go down

Post by mamadA6H Mon Jun 23, 2014 3:40 am

Thanks for the info on contiseal - never really looked into that.
I'll study and check out whether it is worth it. Thanks again!

just found out from conti site - the max width does not quite go to our width of 245

Tyre dimensions

Summer
•Tyre width in mm: 205-235
•Tyre cross section: Series 35-60
•Rim size in inches: 16-19
•Load index: 91-98
•Speed symbol: H/V/W/Y

mamadA6H

Back to top Go down

Post by jan999 Fri Jun 20, 2014 9:05 am

you can opt for Conti Seal tires. which actually i quite surprise that VW Passat CC uses that as standard but not on Audi.

Conti seal is far more better than RFT.

my previous X 2 car was Passat CC. punctured, warning came out but still got enough air inside to run to workshop as the contiseal technology is sometime like a gel running inside the tires. once detected a leak, the gel will then patch the hole by itself.

then previous car a BMW F30 320i, running RFT. i really tak boleh tahan the noise. not to say it will cost like rm1200 per piece.

all in all, i prefer Contiseal tires than any RFT

mamadA6H wrote:just to inform you guys to attend to TPMS warning as soon as possible.

TPMS warning appeared on one of my rear left tyre every 7 to 10 days. sent to tyre shop and fixed the puncture. I did not reset tpms as I planned to do it after refill all 4 tyres.
next day, I drove to office - after 12 km of uncomfortable drive, I decided to stop by the emergency lane to check the tyre - the sidewall was torn about 1.5 inch. Reported to PLUS, AAM and AUDI. decided to wait for PLUS to tow, after 2 hrs luckily AAM called back to inform they are near and got them towed my A6H to workshop - wasted 3-4 hours! the tyre was almost ruined and my whole day was almost ruined too. (Imagine if A6H had a spare tyre).

Lesson learned
1.  attend to TPMS warning ASAP.
2.  without a spare tyre, sidewall puncture can be a very bad experience
3.  on Michelin Primacy3 - really surprised me that no damage to the rim after 12 km ride mostly below 40 kmh, but I went up to 90 kmh for a few kms... changed 2 pcs to Primacy3 ST (China) as the ori Primacy3 (Spain) is pretty quiet up to about 23k km.
Soft tyre - I guess the current set wont last more than 28k km. But China-made ST has tread wear of 340 (versus 240 for the Spain-made tyre), so it may stretch above 30k km.
4.  a lot of debate on RFT worldwide - particularly BMW forums - to avoid RFT due to noise and cost - dare not take the plunge.

Any recommendation for better tyre? Need to change the other two within 2-3 months.
I wonder if ok to put 2 RFTs at the back (50% assurance).

jan999

Back to top Go down

Post by mamadA6H Thu Jun 19, 2014 7:53 am

just to inform you guys to attend to TPMS warning as soon as possible.

TPMS warning appeared on one of my rear left tyre every 7 to 10 days. sent to tyre shop and fixed the puncture. I did not reset tpms as I planned to do it after refill all 4 tyres.
next day, I drove to office - after 12 km of uncomfortable drive, I decided to stop by the emergency lane to check the tyre - the sidewall was torn about 1.5 inch. Reported to PLUS, AAM and AUDI. decided to wait for PLUS to tow, after 2 hrs luckily AAM called back to inform they are near and got them towed my A6H to workshop - wasted 3-4 hours! the tyre was almost ruined and my whole day was almost ruined too. (Imagine if A6H had a spare tyre).

Lesson learned
1.  attend to TPMS warning ASAP.
2.  without a spare tyre, sidewall puncture can be a very bad experience
3.  on Michelin Primacy3 - really surprised me that no damage to the rim after 12 km ride mostly below 40 kmh, but I went up to 90 kmh for a few kms... changed 2 pcs to Primacy3 ST (China) as the ori Primacy3 (Spain) is pretty quiet up to about 23k km.
Soft tyre - I guess the current set wont last more than 28k km. But China-made ST has tread wear of 340 (versus 240 for the Spain-made tyre), so it may stretch above 30k km.
4.  a lot of debate on RFT worldwide - particularly BMW forums - to avoid RFT due to noise and cost - dare not take the plunge.

Any recommendation for better tyre? Need to change the other two within 2-3 months.
I wonder if ok to put 2 RFTs at the back (50% assurance).

mamadA6H

Back to top Go down

Post by Gigabelova Sun May 18, 2014 5:07 am

Just to add to what jan999 said, the TPMS on our cars does indeed use the ABS sensor to detect rotation speed between left and right wheels as well as front and back. If a tire is out of rotation compared to the rest, the diameter must be different (less). In that case the system then assumes that the tire pressure must be low. Since it uses a relative comparison, the system would not be able to tell you for certain what the tire pressure is. If all tires are low on pressure equally, the system would assume that tire pressure is actually normal. However, there are systems out there that actually measure true pressure. The Porsche Cayenne for example would show individual tire pressures on each wheel. This is achieved by having individual pressure sensors in each wheel which translates into tire pressure data availability to the driver. As our system does not do this, we would not be able to view actual tire pressure.

Gigabelova

Back to top Go down

Post by jan999 Tue Mar 18, 2014 9:50 am

we only have warning for lost pressure but not presrure monitoring system.

it uses ABS sensor to detect if the rotation is not tally and then issue warning. however, thats good enoufh for me already

jan999

Back to top Go down

tyre pressure monitoring system Empty tyre pressure monitoring system

Post by kcho Sun Mar 16, 2014 5:52 pm

The tyre pressure monitoring system really works!
There was a message blinking "left rear tyre is underinflation."
I filled up the tyre but 2 days later, the same message appeared.
Then , I have the tyre checked, only to find out there was a nail on the tyre.
I am planning for a long journey next week. This has save me a lot of trouble, perhaps my life.
Just wonder how the tyre pressure monitoring system works? Any idea?

kcho

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down