The Audi A6 Hybrid Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Engine oil change

+3
SJohn
Admin
walkman
7 posters

Go down

Engine oil change Empty Re: Engine oil change

Post by Screwu Fri Jun 27, 2014 6:50 am

Yup...profit margin for engine oil is huge...

Screwu

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Wed Jun 25, 2014 10:52 am

mamadA6H wrote:I'm not sure if EM allow customer to bring own engine oil

http://paultan.org/2014/04/11/new-shell-helix-ultra-launched/shell-helix-price-list/
4-liter RM225 + 1 liter RM63 = RM288

Lazada
RM 179.00 - 4 liter http://www.lazada.com.my/shell-helix-ultra-5w-40-4l-engine-oil-534465.html
Before  RM 239.00  , You save  25%

No way they will allow it. Their excuse is that they cannot ascertain the source of the oil and thus cannot warrant its authenticity

Main reason, buzz off customer, that's my profit margin affected there!

Admin
Admin

https://a6hybrid.forumms.net

Back to top Go down

Post by mamadA6H Tue Jun 24, 2014 5:55 am

I'm not sure if EM allow customer to bring own engine oil

http://paultan.org/2014/04/11/new-shell-helix-ultra-launched/shell-helix-price-list/
4-liter RM225 + 1 liter RM63 = RM288

Lazada
RM 179.00 - 4 liter http://www.lazada.com.my/shell-helix-ultra-5w-40-4l-engine-oil-534465.html
Before  RM 239.00  , You save  25%

mamadA6H

Back to top Go down

Post by kcho Mon Jun 23, 2014 4:53 pm

have my first service done. they use Shell helix ultra 5-40, total 5 liter, and the engine oil itself was RM400. It this overpriced?
How much is the market price?
can we buy and bring our own engine oil during the service ?

kcho

Back to top Go down

Post by SJohn Wed Jan 08, 2014 7:09 am

My car hit 7,100km this morning, so I really thought of going for a mid oil change, just to be safe.

Then I took out my owner manual to read, and found on the "Audi Service Schedule" booklet that only recommend VW 504 00 oil for petrol engine.

If the car is using Shell Helix from Ingolstaldt then it's funny .....

Admin wrote:Yep, I'm very sure because I specifically asked about the oil used as I am we'll aware of TFSI's infamous oil consumption traits.  She even emphasized for me to check oil levels often since the recommended service is a far 15k km away, to avoid oil sludge issues.

Actually, shell helix ultra is VW 503.01, 505 and 502 approved.

502 is the spec recommended in the Audi A6h manual for petrol engines.  So, use it with confidence
SJohn
SJohn

Back to top Go down

Post by Screwu Fri Jan 03, 2014 4:18 pm

Sent oredi bro...just to show u that even at 15k, the engine oil shud still be full

Screwu

Back to top Go down

Post by PeterHng13 Fri Jan 03, 2014 12:23 pm

Screwu wrote:
It's normal bro...I always check it monthly n even when mine was at 15k, it's still full.
Currently I'm at 20k oredi

at 20k, you still haven't sent for the 15k service? that's pretty risky right especially on the warranty?

PeterHng13

Back to top Go down

Post by Screwu Fri Jan 03, 2014 9:17 am

PeterHng13 wrote:
Admin wrote:I think screwu could be right. The infamous Sludge formation in the TFSI engines is caused by low engine oil levels. Therefore, if one has a good practice of at least a monthly check and top up where necessary, I think should be ok

I'm driving mine coming to 4 months already. Ok then I'll follow your advice not to change now and to check for oil level monthly. I did check last week the oil level, it's still shown full even nearly 7k km. Is it normal?

Thanks.
It's normal bro...I always check it monthly n even when mine was at 15k, it's still full.
Currently I'm at 20k oredi

Screwu

Back to top Go down

Post by PeterHng13 Fri Jan 03, 2014 7:30 am

Admin wrote:I think screwu could be right. The infamous Sludge formation in the TFSI engines is caused by low engine oil levels. Therefore, if one has a good practice of at least a monthly check and top up where necessary, I think should be ok

I'm driving mine coming to 4 months already. Ok then I'll follow your advice not to change now and to check for oil level monthly. I did check last week the oil level, it's still shown full even nearly 7k km. Is it normal?

Thanks.

PeterHng13

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Fri Jan 03, 2014 5:26 am

I think screwu could be right. The infamous Sludge formation in the TFSI engines is caused by low engine oil levels. Therefore, if one has a good practice of at least a monthly check and top up where necessary, I think should be ok

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Screwu Thu Jan 02, 2014 1:22 pm

No need change la...hehe...just go all the way to 15k...these are expensive lubes that can take/go the distance even more than what is recommended...but it also depends on ur oil filters n the environment that u r driving in ie dusty roads etc

Screwu

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Thu Jan 02, 2014 12:41 pm

PeterHng13 wrote:
Admin wrote:
Admin wrote:

Then again, nothing beats a fresh gush of oil.  Stupid problem is that, you need to make a 2 week advance appointment just to send your car in to Audi.  

Alternatively, if you are around Klang Valley, you can hop off to the 3rd party Audi workshops in petaling Utama, off old Klang road.  There are 3 of them there.  I used to to go to Ever Auto for my previous Audi TT for mechanical work while back to Euromobil for anything touching electronics.

If its simply an oil change, they should be good enough or any good continental car workshop for that matter

So far, anybody has gone to Ever Auto to do the "half-way" oil change of 7.5k km? Don't mind sharing your experiences. Mine is abt 7k km now. Planning to do the in-between oil change. Thanks.

After 7 months with the car, I'm still only doing 4k km so there is no urgency to do any in-between oil change. Honestly tho', a simple oil change is no rocket science. You can go to ever auto or audible. However its advisable for you to ask if you can bring your own oil (or filter) as some mechanics do not welcome this

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by PeterHng13 Thu Jan 02, 2014 8:32 am

Admin wrote:
Admin wrote:

Then again, nothing beats a fresh gush of oil.  Stupid problem is that, you need to make a 2 week advance appointment just to send your car in to Audi.  

Alternatively, if you are around Klang Valley, you can hop off to the 3rd party Audi workshops in petaling Utama, off old Klang road.  There are 3 of them there.  I used to to go to Ever Auto for my previous Audi TT for mechanical work while back to Euromobil for anything touching electronics.

If its simply an oil change, they should be good enough or any good continental car workshop for that matter

So far, anybody has gone to Ever Auto to do the "half-way" oil change of 7.5k km? Don't mind sharing your experiences. Mine is abt 7k km now. Planning to do the in-between oil change. Thanks.

PeterHng13

Back to top Go down

Post by PeterHng13 Mon Sep 23, 2013 12:11 pm

Admin wrote:
walkman wrote:If you look at the engine oil cap, it says 'Castrol'.
BMW recommends castrol too but that didn't stop some dealers from using shell helix or others.  I'm very sure auto Bavaria uses Petronax Syntium.

As long as the oil meets the specifications by the manufacturer, I'd assume its safe to use

Maybe someone else who will be collecting the car soon can verify the oil used again.  But I'm very sure that's the brand given to me
I can confirm my SA at Euromobil said they were using Shell Helix 5W 40 when I collected my car .

PeterHng13

Back to top Go down

Post by walkman Thu Aug 08, 2013 9:34 am

Ya, as long as its from top brand lubricants, and fully synthetic, they are safe to use.
walkman
walkman

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Thu Aug 08, 2013 9:21 am

walkman wrote:If you look at the engine oil cap, it says 'Castrol'.

BMW recommends castrol too but that didn't stop some dealers from using shell helix or others.  I'm very sure auto Bavaria uses Petronax Syntium.

As long as the oil meets the specifications by the manufacturer, I'd assume its safe to use

Maybe someone else who will be collecting the car soon can verify the oil used again.  But I'm very sure that's the brand given to me

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by walkman Thu Aug 08, 2013 9:15 am

If you look at the engine oil cap, it says 'Castrol'.
walkman
walkman

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Thu Aug 08, 2013 9:00 am

Yep, I'm very sure because I specifically asked about the oil used as I am we'll aware of TFSI's infamous oil consumption traits. She even emphasized for me to check oil levels often since the recommended service is a far 15k km away, to avoid oil sludge issues.

Actually, shell helix ultra is VW 503.01, 505 and 502 approved.

502 is the spec recommended in the Audi A6h manual for petrol engines. So, use it with confidence

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by SJohn Thu Aug 08, 2013 8:54 am

Emm I doubt so, as I understand She'll Helix is not approved by VW group ?
SJohn
SJohn

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Thu Aug 08, 2013 5:52 am

I've asked the SA before. It's shell helix ultra 5w-40

Usually, for a 2.0 4-potter, its about 4+ liters

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by SJohn Thu Aug 08, 2013 5:25 am

Hi, let say if we wish to do an interim service just on oil change, anyone know what brand / oil is currently being used in our cars now ?

And any idea how many litre is one change ? After reading all about the oil consumption issue I am very much supportive about the interim (at 7.5k) oil change. At least when the engine is new & tight.

So for me it shall be at 7.5k km & and 21.5k km odo.
SJohn
SJohn

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Wed Aug 07, 2013 12:24 pm

Admin wrote:

Alternatively, if you are around Klang Valley, you can hop off to the 3rd party Audi workshops in petaling Utama, off old Klang road. There are 3 of them there. I used to to go to Ever Auto for my previous Audi TT for mechanical work while back to Euromobil for anything touching electronics.

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Wed Aug 07, 2013 6:21 am

Besides more frequent engine oil changes, it is equally important to check that there is sufficient oil in the engine because running on low oil levels will quicken formation of oil sludge and lead to premature engine failure.

The TFSI engines are notoriously famous for consuming oil which is why more frequent oil checks and perform required top ups, I feel, is more important.

And during weekends, run the engine hard for a sustainable period to 'blow off the cobwebs' , so to speak and you should be ok.

Then again, nothing beats a fresh gush of oil. Stupid problem is that, you need to make a 2 week advance appointment just to send your car in to Audi.

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Engine oil change Empty Engine oil change

Post by walkman Wed Aug 07, 2013 6:03 am

Greetings,
How many of you are going to follow the 15k km oil change interval? My friend's Q5 has his engine overhaul recently. Its a 3 years ole car and he follows the 15k km oil change interval as indicated in OBC. My experience with my previous Bimmer also resulted in engine replacement within 1.5 yrs, as I too followed the oil change interval as indicated in OBC. After the engine replacement, I was ask to change the oil every 8k to 10k km. This is also the same advice given by local BMW dealers now. I guess I may do an oil change every 8k km, just to save the hassle of engine malfunction.
walkman
walkman

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down